Wednesday, December 9

"Two Yutes" -- My Cousin Vinny

.
Gen. 37:2
“And Joseph was seventeen… and he was a lad...”

Rashi, the legendary Jewish commentator from 11th century France, explains that Joseph was precocious and petulant to the point of major douchebag-ery!

In other words...

Youth is wasted on the young.

Also, small pox vaccinations.


Dwight Gooden won a Cy Young award and a World Series Title by November of 1986.
He was the best pitcher on the best team in Major League Baseball
... before he was 22 years old.

And then cocaine took over his life. He won zero pitching awards and World Series titles the rest of his career, eventually getting arrested, contemplating suicide, and finally winding up in jail.

James Dean was nominated for two Best Actor Academy Awards before he was 25.
He was also dead.

Before he was 27 years old, team captain Derek Jeter had won 4 World Series championships with the New York Yankees.

I am 27 years old.
And I have won… (ahem) fewer... World Series championships.

But… um…

The Yankees suck.

Yeah!


Being young is great.
But it's not perfect.


"As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fit in because I never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition, too."

-Johnny Depp


Besides, if you start out at the top when you're young... you have nowhere to go but down.


"I was 33 when the show [E.R.] hit. You've almost been famous several times, so you're prepared for the fact that it has very little to do with you.

I got a lot of good lessons through life before I got around to the show being successful. So it's better...

I feel sorry for any kid who's 20 years old and hits it [fame] because I don't know how you handle it, I don't know how you do it."

-- George Clooney, in a 2007 Interview



"Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart... but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment."
--(Ecclesiastes 11:9)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment